Saturday 13 October 2012

Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon (Check back for updates!)



I'm taking part in Dewey's Read-a-thon for the second time today. My first time was last April and I enjoyed it so much. However, I'm not going to be able to commit to the same length of time as I did then. I'm not teaching at a school Monday-Friday anymore; I'm doing private tuition sessions almost every day of the week, and I have a session tomorrow at midday. The Read-a-Thon doesn't end until 1pm tomorrow in UK time, so I have no choice but to cut it an hour short and, well, I don't think my tutee would appreciate me turning up after an all-night binge (even if it was a binge on books!), so I think I should get some sleep tonight.

I also have plans to see a film with friends this evening BUT I'm hoping this counts towards the Read-a-Thon because (hear me out!) the Read-a-Thon is not just for reading, but for doing bookish things. The movie I'm seeing is The Perks of Being a Wallflower - it's based on a book; that counts as a bookish thing to me.

I feel a little bad about not devoting as much time to reading, which is one of the reasons I've signed up to do two hours of cheerleading this year. The other reason is that I'm going to love cheering my fellow Thon-ers on, so I'm really looking forward to that.

The October Read-a-Thon has come at a busy time for me and I am sorry that I'm only going to be able to do it halfway, but I still feel like that's better than not doing it at all.

Wish me luck and great reading!

9 comments:

  1. I say it counts. ;) Hey, even if you can only get one or two books in, it's better than nothing! I would participate, but I know it will always come around when I need to do something else. I think I may have my own read-a-thon at some point soon, just for fun. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think the movie counts. I love watching movies based on books :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! I hope you're having a blast! *\o/*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, The Perks of Being a Wallflower looked really good! I hope you enjoy it! I still haven't read the book yet, so I probably won't see the movie while it's in theaters.

    My family and I were going to see Frankenweenie today, but decided to see it tomorrow instead. Well, that just means more time to read today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The movie always counts with me. If anyone these days dismisses the movie version just out-of-hand, they're being a bit old-school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you were able to get some reading done along with your cheering!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Still awake? If you are then be sure to make some coffee and enjoy hour 19!

    Chris (Team Tootsie Rolls)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you were able to get a lot of reading done in the time you had!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you had a lovely day, in whatever capacity you were able to participate!

    ReplyDelete

If you visit this blog, please comment! I really do appreciate and read every one and try to answer back as much as possible.