Wednesday 11 July 2012

Compare the Covers: Seraphina by Rachel Hartman

I feel kind of bad about these 'Compare the Covers' posts, because I'm usually only moved to do them when I spy that the UK cover of a book I want to read is ranging anywhere from a) not an improvement on the original, or b) absolutely terrible. So it feels like I'm always putting down the work of the UK publishers/cover designers when, probably seven times out of ten, I prefer the UK versions of books. I just happen to make posts about the ones I dislike.


UK cover                                                                              US cover


The UK cover on the left isn't bad. The red is very striking and between the colours and the model, it's a very attractive cover. I think I would definitely pick it up in a bookshop and expect a fun read. But I'd also expect something a little bit...tacky. Cheesy fantasy fun. With the scary eye watching over our brave heroine and the lightning flashing in the red sky, this is a cover unafraid to embrace the cliche. I'd be expecting a guilty pleasure. I don't know if I'd be expecting a book that has received numerous starred reviews. My biggest complaint against the UK cover though, is - Paolini quote nonewithstanding - that the fact that this book is about DRAGONS is not prominent enough. I think the eye is a dragon's eye, but you can't really tell for certain. And if your book is about DRAGONS, that is not something you keep quiet about, you shout it from the rooftops.

Like the US cover, which actually has a dragon on the rooftops, making my point for me nicely. In contrast to the UK cover, the US cover is serious. Maybe a little too serious? It looks positively sombre. On the one hand, I wouldn't be embarrassed at all to carry the US version around in public. But on the other, I think I wouldn't necessarily be inclined to pull it off the shelf at first glance, either. Also interesting is that the UK cover makes me think 'Seraphina' is the name of the girl pictured, but the US one gives me the impression 'Seraphina' is a place - the UK cover is right in this instance. And the UK cover definitely grabbed me (it would have grabbed me more with DRAGONS, though). 

So in this case, I think neither cover wins outright. The US cover could do with a little more eye-catching colour and the UK cover could do with dialling back the cheese. If I borrow Seraphina from the library, I'll choose the UK cover. But if I buy it, I think the US cover is the one I'll prefer other people seeing on my bookshelf.

8 comments:

  1. Yes! Tacky is exactly the right word for the UK cover. I want to read this and I'm trying to convince myself that I do not need to order from US just to have a nice cover (which incidentally kind of reminds me of one of the covers for the Princess Bride. Maybe that's why I want to read it so much!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that the US one is really something special in person and just looks a bit blah on screen.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you 100 percent! Especially about the UK one seeming like a guilty pleasure. I think I prefer the US cover overall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I like guilty pleasures, but the US one I'd take seriously.

      Delete
  3. I love the US cover. I think it's complex and beautiful. However, I think the UK cover will sell. The US cover screams complicated high fantasy. The UK cover looks more like a hip paranormal/fantasy. Even though the US cover is more fitting, I think the UK cover will get reluctant people interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point, Alison. The cover *is* supposed to sell the book and if the UK cover will do that, then it's a successful cover.

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh, *giggle* I love your write up. Tacky is so perfect! And I'm right there with you. I would definitely pick up the UK cover, and I'd feel super cheesy and embarrassed, but I'd pick it up anyway because I'd expect fantasy fun. I also LOVE what you said about the presence of dragons demanding shouting from rooftops (and, thankfully, I swallowed my soda right before I read that line, otherwise I would have spewed it all over my screen!)

    I also agree bout the second cover. It really is a very nice cover and I do like it a lot. It has an old-timey classic fantasy feel to it. Also, I agree, I wouldn't be embarrassed reading it in public. But, I'm not sure I would pick it up off the shelf, either. It looks drab. Classy, but boring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess it's a matter of who is reading it. I bought the UK cover for my school library, especially for a dragon-loving student who is a big fan of Paolini's books. The blurb helped. And those starred reviews, including a five-star one from Tamora Pierce. But while I prefer the US one for me, I think teens would be more likely to pick up the UK cover. Really must read it, BTW, as soon as I get through some more of my TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete

If you visit this blog, please comment! I really do appreciate and read every one and try to answer back as much as possible.