Tuesday 20 September 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Books Everyone Has Read But Me

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish.


Top Ten Books I Feel As Though Everyone Has Read But Me

I think this a great idea for a Top Ten. My list is composed of examples from the real world and the blogging world - both worlds are completely different, but both are able to make me feel completely inadequate because of the books I have yet to read!


10. The Human Stain by Phillip Roth


Real world: For some reason unknown, the universe has seen fit to put my desk next to the desks of 3 other teachers in our English office, for whom this is their favourite book. Good thing I've watched The Wire, or I'd seriously have nothing to contribute to the conversations at all.


9. Anything by Lauren Oliver


Blogging world: Before I Fall was raved about last year. Delirium has been raved about this year. So far, I've read neither.



8. Wither by Lauren DeStefano


Blogging world: I've got my copy. I know it's considered one of the best of the year. And every time it's mentioned, I feel guilty about not having read it yet.


7. The Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr


Blogging world: Although real world, too, as this feeling is compounded by the fact that every time I try to get this at the library, it's always checked out. Anyway, I sometimes see books referred to as being 'Melissa Marr-ish'. I'd really like to know what that means.


6. Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden


Real world: Honestly, you could replace this with any 'watercooler' adult book from the last 10 years. You know, those books that become huge talking points, get made into Hollywood movies and people who only read one book a year, read them. I always feel like I miss them: I leave it too late to read them and the rest of the world has already moved onto the next one.

5. Hamlet by William Shakespeare


Real world: In the UK, everybody does Hamlet in English Lit when they're 16/17. Everybody except my class, where the teacher decided to go against the grain and do King Lear instead. It seems to be just assumed that every adult knows Hamlet; usually, I have to pretend I do.


4. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery


Real world: The thing about Anne is that it was my mother's favourite childhood book. And I was the kind of kid who assumed anything that my mother liked must suck. My mother must have gifted me with this about 3 times and each time I took it and smiled, while inwardly thinking: As if! Didn't I feel silly when I got to adulthood and realised that this is every smart, sussed woman's favourite book.


3. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins


Blogging world: This book has been so loved that I think I'm almost afraid to read it, in case I don't feel the same.


2. The Iron Fey series by Julia Kagawa


Blogging world: I've had a copy of this book since January, but still haven't got around to reading it. All year I've seen review after review praising this series; I'm starting to feel a little ashamed about not having read it yet.


1. The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare


Blogging world: I don't know who Jace and Clary are, OK? Therefore, I don't get about a quarter of the references and comparisons other bloggers make.

5 comments:

  1. I've read 1-4 and loved them all! I did read the first two books of the Wicked Lovely series and stopped in the middle of book three because I didn't care for were the story was going. Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I love how you separated it into real world and blogging world..sometimes the two are very different! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wither, Anna and the Mortal Instruments series are really good and definitely worth a read. Happy Reading!

    My Top Ten: http://rachelreader.blogspot.com/2011/09/top-ten-tuesday-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've not read Wicked Lovely either. It's been on my shelf for ages now. I love Before I Fall though! It really deserves all the praise it gets!

    Books of Amber

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read the iron king or anna and the french kiss either!

    Im a new follower and I am loving your blog! Jessica over @ thoughts at one in the morning sent me your way. :) Do you have an email subscriber widget so I can get your posts in my inbox everyday, so I can keep up to date on things?

    -Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete

If you visit this blog, please comment! I really do appreciate and read every one and try to answer back as much as possible.